seventy adj : being ten more than sixty [syn: 70, lxx] n : the cardinal number that is the product of ten and seven [syn: 70, LXX]
- The cardinal number occurring after sixty-nine and before seventy-one, represented in Roman numerals as LXX and in Arabic numerals as 70. Ordinal: seventieth.
- Bosnian: sedamdeset
- Breton: dek ha tri-ugent
- Bulgarian: седемдесет (sédemdeset)
- Chinese: 七十 (qīshí)
- Crimean Tatar: yetmiş
- Croatian: sedamdeset
- Czech: sedmdesát
- Danish: halvfjerds
- Dutch: zeventig
- Esperanto: sepdek
- Finnish: seitsemänkymmentä
- French: (France, Quebec, Luxembourg) soixante-dix, (Belgium, Congo-Kinshasa, Switzerland, northern France) septante
- German: siebzig
- Greek: εβδομήντα (evdomínda)
- Hebrew: שִׁבְעִים (šivím) m|f
- Hungarian: hetven
- Interlingua: septanta
- Irish: seachtó
- Italian: settanta
- Japanese: 七十 (ななじゅう, naná-jū; しちじゅう, shichí-jū)
- Korean: 일흔 (ilheun), 70 (chilsip)
- Latin: septuaginta
- Malagasy: fitopolo
- Maltese: sebgħin
- Manx: tree feed as jeih
- Mongolian: дал
- Norwegian: sytti
- Novial: setanti
- Polish: siedemdziesiąt
- Portuguese: setenta
- Romanian: şaptezeci
- Russian: семьдесят (sém’desjat)
- Sanskrit: (saptatí)
- Serbian: седамдесет (sedamdeset)
- Sinhala: හැත්තෑව (haththaeva)
- Slovak: sedemdesiat
- Spanish: setenta
- Swahili: sabini
- Swedish: sjuttio
- Tatar: җитмеш, citmeş
- Turkish: yetmiş
- Ukrainian: сімдесять (símdesjat’)
- Welsh: deg ar thrigain vigesimal, traditional, saith deg decimal
- West Frisian: santich
In mathematicsIts factorization makes it a sphenic number. 70 is a Pell number and a generalized heptagonal number, one of only two numbers to be both. Also, it is the seventh pentagonal number and the fourth 13-gonal number, as well as the fifth pentatope number. It is the smallest weird number.
Since it is possible to find sequences of 70 consecutive integers such that each inner member member shares a factor with either the first or the last member, 70 is an Erdős–Woods number.
- Messier object M70, a magnitude 9.0 globular cluster in the constellation Sagittarius
- The New General Catalogue object NGC 70, a magnitude 13.4 spiral galaxy in the constellation Andromeda
- The Saros number of the solar eclipse series which began on -821 September 5 and ended on 676 February 19. The duration of Saros series 70 was 1496.5 years, and it contained 84 solar eclipses. Further, the Saros number of the lunar eclipse series which began on -519 June 13 and ended on 761 July 21. The duration of Saros series 70 was 1280.1 years, and it contained 72 lunar eclipses.
- Seventy souls went down to Egypt to begin the Hebrew's Egyptian exile (Genesis )
- According to Jewish tradition, there is a core of 70 nations and 70 world languages
- Seventy elders were assembled by Moses on God's command in the desert (Numbers )
- Ptolemy II Philadelphus ordered 72 Jewish elders to translate the Torah into Greek; the result was the Septuagint (from the Latin for "seventy")
- In the Gospel of Matthew, , Jesus tells Peter to forgive people seventy times seven times.
- The Roman numeral seventy, LXX, is the scholarly symbol for the Septuagint.
- In the Gospel of Luke , Jesus appoints Seventy Disciples and sends them out in pairs to preach the Gospel.
- Seventy, a priesthood office of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and other Latter Day Saint sects.
- The old testament allots three score and ten (70 years) for a man's life
- 70 years: public domain#Expiration
- New York Giants Sam Huff wore #70
- San Francisco 49ers Charlie Krueger wore #70
- Chicago Bears Herman Lee wore #70
- New England Patriots Logan Mankins wears #70
- Minnesota Vikings Jim Marshall wore #70
- Pittsburgh Steelers Ernie Stautner wore #70
- NASCAR J. D. McDuffie was known for driving car #70
- Baltimore Colts Art Donovan wore #70
In other fields
- the designation of USA Interstate 70, a freeway that goes from Utah to Maryland
- In miles per hour, a common speed limit for freeways in many American states, primarily in the central United States (in the Eastern U.S. the speed limit is generally 65, in the Western U.S. it is 75).
- In miles per hour, the national speed limit in the United Kingdom.
- In years of marriage, the platinum wedding anniversary
- The registry of the U.S. Navy's nuclear aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70), named after U.S. Representative Carl Vinson.
- The number of the French department Haute-Saône.
- Historical years: AD 70, 70 BC, or 1970.
- The number 70 is the subject of the Boards of Canada song, "The Smallest Weird Number" on the 2002 album, Geogaddi.
- Elton John's live album "11-17-70"
- Benjamin Franklin was 70 in 1776
- Cornelius Vanderbilt was 70 when he bought the Hudson River Railroad in 1864
- Justice John Sirica was 70 when he heard the Watergate case in 1974
Number nameThe French do not have a word for 70, instead using "soixante-dix" (60 + 10). Other French-speaking countries such as Belgium and Switzerland do have a word for it, using "septante."
seventy in Catalan: Setanta
seventy in Chuvash: 70 (хисеп)
seventy in Corsican: 70 (numeru)
seventy in Danish: 70 (tal)
seventy in Spanish: Setenta
seventy in Esperanto: Sepdek
seventy in Basque: Hirurogeita hamar
seventy in French: 70 (nombre)
seventy in Gan Chinese: 70
seventy in Korean: 70
seventy in Interlingua (International Auxiliary Language Association): 70 (numero)
seventy in Italian: 70 (numero)
seventy in Hebrew: 70 (מספר)
seventy in Haitian: 70 (nonm)
seventy in Kurdish: Heftê
seventy in Lithuanian: 70 (skaičius)
seventy in Lombard: Nümar 70
seventy in Hungarian: 70 (szám)
seventy in Malay (macrolanguage): 70 (nombor)
seventy in Dutch: 70 (getal)
seventy in Japanese: 70
seventy in Norwegian: 70 (tall)
seventy in Polish: 70 (liczba)
seventy in Portuguese: Setenta
seventy in Russian: 70 (число)
seventy in Simple English: Seventy
seventy in Slovenian: 70 (število)
seventy in Swedish: 70 (tal)
seventy in Thai: 70
seventy in Vietnamese: 70 (số)
seventy in Wu Chinese: 70
seventy in Yiddish: 70 (נומער)
seventy in Contenese: 70
seventy in Chinese: 70